Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Cityscape & Landscape

Locations are not a subject that I typically like to draw, so when we were assigned a cityscape and landscape, of course I was a bit hesitant. However, it did not take long for me to come up with a concept. I decided that I want to create images of the greatest moments in my life: the day I swam with manatees and my first cruise with my favorite band, Train. I decided to portray these amazing moments in my own style as well as use collage in both of them so I could try something new. For the cityscape one, I created is as an image of me viewing the city of Miami from the cruise ship as it is leaving. I collaged it with different colored papers, all of which I had written the titles of Train songs on them, partly because Train is always on my mind and also because as the cruise was leaving, Train was beginning their first concert of the cruise, so Train songs truly were around me at that moment. The landscape project was bit simpler since it was an image of crystal river with the two manatees that I swam with swimming in it. For that project I used all sorts of different papers and paint colors to create the image. However, while I am actually very proud of my cityscape, I know that my landscape could use lots of improvement. For the landscape, I actually like how it looks, especially the water and manatees, however, I wished I would have had more time to add more to it. I spent so much time on the cityscape that I did not get a chance to add as much to the landscape as I would have wanted. I wanted to add something else in the water to create a more interesting composition such as a person swimming or some lily pads. But on the other hand, I am very proud of my landscape, it took a lot of time to write down all of the songs and cut out all of the paper, but I really think that it was worth it. I like the different colors and how the buildings turned out, however, if I were to change something I would probably outline certain items such as the boat and maybe the person so they could stand out more, but other than that I am very please with how it turned out. Therefore, while places are not my typical subjects for art, I felt that it was good that we were assigned a cityscape and a landscape because it helped me to explore new subjects and new media. Overall, I felt that my cityscape and landscape pieces were a success, I just wish I would have been given more time to push my landscape even further.


No comments:

Post a Comment